Today’s Daily Prompt asks: Humans have very strong scent memory. Tell us about a smell that transports you.
I could write about the sharp aroma of garlic wafting out the doors of a tiny corner family restaurant down in South Philly . . . .
Or the early morning wake-me-up scent of fresh coffee beans being roasted at the independent gourmet coffee shop I lived above in Englewood . . .
Or the fragrance of mint, of ginger, or roasted Hatch chili peppers in September. . .
After all, this is my cooking life.
But today my answer is not in the kitchen. Unless you consider the linen kitchen towels or the brightly colored cloth on the kitchen table. Or the clothing I cook in.
That is, If they were hung to dry on the clothesline on laundry day.
That fresh, outdoorsy, clothesline-dried smell! It’s like no other I can think of
Transport me it does.
To my childhood in Michigan when Mom and I would hang everything outside and I would play hide and seek with my neighbor David weaving in and out of the drying clothes, the wind flapping them up into our bright and giggling faces!
The irresistable smell of a freshly made bed of linens brought in from the line made naptime almost desireable and offered an invitation to the sweetest dreams at night.
I was transported just yesterday by the mere mention of clothes on a clothesline and a cute little photo of them that my friend included in her blog.
She lives in Michigan. And I was a child again running through the flapping cloth.
- Transported | The Magic Black Book
- A quick jaunt about our neighbourhood | weliveinaflat
- Daily Prompt: Smell You Later | Fasting, Food and other musings by determined34
- ‘Smell You Later’ | scottishmomus
- U-train station | thoughtsofrkh
- Daily Prompt: Smell You Later | littlegirlstory
- Smell You Later | suzie81’s Blog
- Smell You Later | Geek Ergo Sum
- Transported | photo potpourri
- » Daily Prompt: Smell You Later | George and Nigel
- The smell of my childhood holidays | Angel Frouk
- Transported in Time…to the Memories of Childhood | Andante Cantabile
- Daily Prompt : Smell you later – Purple Hull Peas | mostlytrueramblings
- Daily Prompt: Smell you later | Sued51’s Blog
- Olfactory Hues | The Road to Published
- Evan Likes Weird Odors | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Smell You Later « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: Smell You Later | jpflip
- Daily Prompt: Smell You Later | Motherhood and Beyond
- Je t’adore aussi | I Didn’t Just Wake Up This Morning with a Craving
- Scent of You | clarior e tenebris
- Maybe I could you steal a whiff sometime soon | Flippin Coins
- Daily Prompt: Smell You Later | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Smell You Later: Transported to Another Time | Khana’s Web
- Daily Prompt: Smell You Later | Basically Beyond Basic